April 16, 2013

Portfolio box update

I think that I have pretty much finished my portfolio box.

Although I possible made a mistake with both the size and the depth of my box (8x10, 65mm), I am pretty happy with the overall outcome.

I decided to put a range of work into my box, the basis being constructing narratives final hang.
Along with that I have a few different portraits, and a few different landscapes also, along with this i have included 2 images from my collaboration from situation practice.

In doing some research I have found out that the best way to present a portfolio box is with minimal images from the same series, this is because this option allows you to include more areas of work, meaning you are showing a diverse range of skills and genres.
I agree with this in a way, as you don't want the person viewing the portfolio box to get bored of similar images, but also because you'd have more room to show a variety of images in one place.

The negatives to this include the fact that many jobs in photography are dedicated to specific areas, meaning if you show a series of images based on the same subject, and that subject is based on the kind of photography the person viewing the images wants you to work on, then it would be more benefical to fill a portfolio with work in that area to show your full range. Whereas if you were going to work in a photography studio who focus on family portraits, weddings, animals etc, it is best that you show lots of different work to show that you can be creative and skilled in different areas.

A portfolio box would be the most important thing in an interview.
It has to be well presented and easily read you you won'e always be there to talk someone through each image or set.
This is why I have decided to group my portraits together, my landscapes together and order the projects one after each other so that it is obvious and ther eis a clear definition between the different genres.
I concidered the idea of putting title pages inbetween each area photographed or series shown, but i thought this may look ameture, and slightly unprofessional so decided to just let them flow nicely from the box.

If i were to do anything differently with my box I would have ordered one bigger, due to my work always being of a bigger scale. I have found the smaller 8x10 box doesnt do my images much justice compared to when they were big on the wall.
I would also reconsider the depth of the box. I originally thought it would be best to mount my images in the box, therefore picked the thicker depth of 65mm, over the thinner one of 35mm.
Now i realise that portfolio archive sleeves are much better presentation wise than the images being mounted, and therefore if the box was to be moved quickly there is a lot of space above the photographs for them to fly around. Rather than being tightly compacted if i were to chose the 35mm box.

I think that my portfolio box looks clean, tidy and is nice and simple so wouldn't put someone off looking at it if they had the option. I am pleased with the overall out come and i would be comfortable to let someone look through it without my being there, which i think is the most important factor. It has also been a learning curve for me and has helped me find out what people would prefer or not like when looking at a box containing my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment