April 16, 2013

Website Update

My website is now complete and can be found at
www.zoedbarrett.com

The website will always be a working progress, as they all are, but for now I have all my images which are relevant to date on there.



I ended up with SquareSpace, and I am happy with my final decison.
I paid a one off fee of $94.. around £65 for a yearly subscription to the sight. Along with a free domain name, and the templates I was given:
- 20 pages, galleries and blogs
- 500GB bandwidth
- 2GB storage
- Mobile website
- custom domian
and 24/7 support from squarespace.
For now I am happy with the amount i paid along with the features which were included.
If at any point I run out of memory I canalways upgrade, there are 2 accounts above my one which offer unlimited images, vidoes and blogs etc.
I have decided that thre cheaper option was the best for me, and 2GB storage is fine as my images are low resolution of no more than 1MB each anyway.

It took me a long while to find a template which I liked, but I eventaully came to a final decison after making a few sacrifices when it came to personal preferences in alinement with what my web creator - SquareSpace offered.
I ended up with a really simple white background, simple black font, and minimal pages to make the whole experience easy, stress free, and enjoyable (hopefully).

I have a running slide show on each gallery page and also on the home page of the website, although the viewer also has the option to click on each thumbnail, or the images itself in order to move quickly to the next one if he/she wants to.

I have included a contact page which features my University email adress. I believe this is the most appropriate at this time, as my personal hotmail one is not a professional enough name.
At some point I will spend more money on making an "info@" email address linking to my website, but for now my uni one, and the website comment/contact section works just fine.

I have an information page which says a little about myself, but more importantly states any upcoming exhibitons my work will be shown in.

My website has a slightly different template layout when shown on a phone, which actually compliments it well with the sizing onf the screen. Although at first I was slightly annoyed by this, I think the way it is shown works in my favour.

I have checked my website on one tablet and it has the same format and teomplate as if you were vieiwng it on a laptop of PC which I am happy with.

I have tried to keep all of my images at the same aspect ratio throughout each gallery, although my portraits vary due to working on a digitial camera, and a
medium format with 6x6 square negatives. I think this isn't to much of a big deal and I am happy with them varying slightly. Other than that they are pretty consistent throughout.

I feel aslthough my website is easy to navigate, fairly quick and aesthetically pleasing also, I am very happy with the overall outcome and although I havent done anything like this before I am pleased how it has turned out.

I believe that as my work progresses, my website will become better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment